Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting is characterized as any queasiness, spewing, or regurgitating happening amid the initial 24-48 hours after surgery in inpatients. PONV is a standout amongst the most widely recognized reasons for patient disappointment after anesthesia, with reported rates of 30% in all post-surgical patients and up to 80% in high-chance patients. Also, PONV is frequently appraised in preoperative studies, as the anesthesia result the patient might most want to stay away from. It is in this manner not shocking that patients crosswise over Europe and North America express a high eagerness to pay ($50-$100) to maintain a strategic distance from PONV. While suture dehiscence, yearning of gastric substance, esophageal break, and different genuine difficulties connected with PONV are uncommon, queasiness and heaving is still a disagreeable and very basic postoperative grimness that can defer quiet release from the post-anesthesia care unit and expansion unexpected healing center affirmations in outpatients.
Nausea/Vomiting, Surgery, Mechanisms, Therapy, Prevention
This study was supported by Nanjing Medical University Medical Science Development Grant (2014NJMU092).
2. Conway B. Prevention and management of postoperative nausea and vomiting in adults. Aorn Journal 2009; 90:391-413.
3. Hines S, Steels E, Chang A, Gibbons K. Aromatherapy for treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 4:405-407.
4. Stoicea, N, Gan TJ, Joseph N, Uribe A, Pandya J, Dalal R, Bergese SD. Alternative therapies for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Front Med 2015; 2:1023-1033.
5. Horn CC, Wallisch WJ, Homanics GE, Williams JP. Pathophysiological and neurochemical mechanisms of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Eur J Pharmacol 2014; 722:55-66.
6. Gan TJ, Diemunsch P, Habib AS, Kovac A, Kranke P, Meyer TA, Watcha M, Chung F, Angus S, Apfel CC, Bergese SD, Candiotti KA, Chan MT, Davis PJ, Hooper VD, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Myles P, Nezat G, Philip BK, Tramèr MR; Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia. Consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 2014; 118:85-113.
7. Beville JW, Bross ID, Howlasd WS. Postoperative nausea and vomiting. IV. Factors related to postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesiology 1960; 21:186-190.
8. Trepanier CA, Isabel L. Perioperative gastric aspiration increases postoperative nausea and vomiting in outpatients. Can J Anaesth 1993; 40:325-328.
9. Apfel CC, Laara E, Koivuranta M, Greim CA, Roewer N. A simplified risk score forpredicting postoperative nausea and vomiting: Conclusions from cross-validations between two centers. Anesthesiology 1999; 91:693-700.
10. Apfel CC,Heidrich FM, Jukar-Rao S, Jalota L, Hornuss C, Whelan RP, Zhang K, Cakmakkaya OS. Evidence-based analysis of risk factors for postoperative nausea and vomiting. Brit J Anaesth 2012; 109:742-753.
11. Eberhart LHJ, Morin AM, Guber D. Applicability of risk scores for postoperative nausea and vomiting in adults to paediatric patients. Br J Anesth 2004; 93:386-392.
12. Hooper VD. SAMBA consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting: An executive summary for perianesthesia nurses. J Perianesth Nurs 2015; 30:377- 382.
13. Apfel CC,Philip BK, Cakmakkaya OS, Shilling A, Shi YY, Leslie JB, Allard M, Turan A, Windle P, Odom-Forren J, Hooper VD, Radke OC, Ruiz J, Kovac A. Who is at risk for postdischarge nausea and vomiting after ambulatory surgery? Anesthesiology 2012; 117:475-486.
14. Kranke P, Apfel CC, Papenfuss T, Rauch S, Löbmann U, Rübsam B, Greim CA, Roewer N. An increased body mass index is no risk factor for postoperative nausea and vomiting. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2001; 45:160-166.
15. Stadler M, Bardiau F, Seidel L, Albert A, Boogaerts JG. Difference in risk factors for postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesiology 2003; 98:46-52.
16. Jaffe SM, Campbell P, Bellman M, Baildam A. Postoperative nausea and vomiting in women following breast surgery: An audit. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2000; 17:261-264.
17. Apfel CC,Korttila K, Abdalla M, Kerger H, Turan A, Vedder I, Zernak C, Danner K, Jokela R, Pocock SJ, Trenkler S, Kredel M, Biedler A, Sessler DI, Roewer N; IMPACT Investigators. A factorial trial of six interventions for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. N Engl J Med 2004; 350:2441-2451.
18. Ionescu DD, Badescu C, Acalovschi I. Nicotine patch for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting a prospective randomised trial. Clin Drug Investig 2007; 27:559-564.
19. Apfel CC, Meyer A, Orhan-Sungur M, Jalota L, Whelan RP, Jukar-Rao S. Supplemental intravenous crystalloids for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: quantitative review. Br J Anaesth 2012; 108:893-902.
20. Orhan-Sungur M, Kranke P, Sessler D, Apfel CC. Does supplemental oxygen reduce postoperative nausea and vomiting? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Anesth Analg 2008; 106:1733-1738.
21. Carr KL, Johnson FE, Kenaan CA, Welton JM. Effects of P6 stimulation on postoperative nausea and vomiting in laparoscopic cholecystectomy patients. J Perianesth Nurs 2015; 30:143-50.
22. Lee S, Lee MS, Choi DH, Lee SK. Electroacupuncture on PC6 prevents opioid-induced nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic surgery. Chin J Integr Med 2013; 19:277-281.
23. Radford KD, Fuller TN, Bushey B, Daniel C, Pellegrini JE. Prophylactic isopropyl alcohol inhalation and intravenous ondansetron versus ondansetron alone in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in high-risk patients. AANA J 2011; 79:S69-S74.
24. Wang XX, Zhou Q, Pan DB, Deng HW, Zhou AG, Huang FR, Guo HJ. Dexamethasone versus ondansetron in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing laparoscopic surgery: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Anesthesiol 2015; 15:1-9.
25. Brygger L, Herrstedt J, Academy of Geriatric Cancer Research (AgeCare). 5-Hydroxytryptamine3 receptor antagonists and cardiac side effects. Expert Opin Drug Safe 2014;13:1407-1422.
26. Ruiz JR, Ensor JE,Lim JW, Van Meter A, Rahlfs TF. Phenothiazine vs 5HT3 antagonist prophylactic regimens to prevent Post-Anesthesia Care Unit rescue antiemetic: An observational study. Open J Anesthesiol 2015; 5:27-32.
27. Odom-Forren J, Hooper V, Moser DK, Hall LA, Lennie TA, Holtman J,Thomas M, Centimole Z, Rush C, Apfel CC. Postdischarge nausea and vomiting: Management strategies and outcomes over 7 days. J Perianesth Nurs 2014; 29:275-284.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.